Thursday, May 22, 2008

Week 7 post-op, FOOD

It is now week 7 post-op. Yay...

Pictures of my first real-looking meal. Pureed chicken noodle soup w/ a bit of pureed yu choy. Looked too good to be real at week 4.

Yum? I thought so. Progresso Chicken with Noodles and Vegetables, pureed w/ just a 1/4 slice of cold Provolone cheese, torn into itty, bitty bits. One sprig of cooked Yu Choy pureed w/ a touch of milk or chicken broth.

This picture shows the tiny dessert spoon I had to use and still use today b/c large spoons can barely squeeze into my mouth past the elastics and forks stab my lips/tongue/teeth and the tines get tangled in my elastics. The spoon is about as wide as my thumb. And I have very small hands.


Additionally...the next picture is from 5 weeks post-op.

Dessert. Half a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich w/ a dollop of Activia vanilla yogurt and some pureed strawberry bits mascerated in honey. Delicious and beautiful! It's sitting on a volume of The Bonfire of the Vanities, which is on my bed where I lived for several weeks after surgery.

I found that the ice cream sandwich was really great b/c the "cookie" parts were soft enough so that it could be mushed in my mouth by my tongue or be mixed in w/ slightly melted ice cream. But, I couldn't handle ice cream or any cold food for the first few weeks. It was wonderful when I could. But, I have not-so-great memories from when I had my wisdom teeth removed...of over-eating ice cream. So I don't eat it too often now.

short update!

I can't see any more stitches or "hanging threads" when I lift my upper lip! That little slip of skin holding my lip to the top of my gums isn't straight and taught like my brother's. I keep on making him show me the inside of his mouth to see what's normal. It's a little squiggly, but it's not like a stitch that adhered to my gums and turned into skin so I'm happy. I think that was the last of the stitches. I kept on rinsing water through that area to encourage the threads to fall out...I guess that's that. :)

Happy to be rid of the residual stitches...after 7 weeks!

No comments: