Saturday, June 11, 2011

it's been months, yes, so shoot me.
that's how i feel today.

it's not like anyone actually follows this, it's like my way of standing on the street corner and talking aloud to myself or to a friend that i imagine that i have sometimes...i just do it here, b/c that way i don't look as crazy as the people who do it in public. I suspect they feel better about themselves for doing it out there and not cowering in a private room like i do now.

LET'S START THIS (CRAP) SHOW.
Apple makes me miserable, as does the
Bar and sometimes
Cats/Computers and while i'm at at it even some
Dogs and definitely most public Doors
...there, that's ABC and D's that make my life miserable

in the long run (and by long run I mean about 3 months) the BAR is probably going to be the worst misery, esp. b/c according to Barbri (oh! another "B" that makes my life miserable), i'm about 8% done w/ my bar preparation and I should be about 30% done w/ my preparation...that's just a rough estimate based on my expert eyeballing of that stupid green triangle along the "interactive paced program" bar. barbarbarbarbarbarbarbarbar! ugh, so hate that word right now.

but, to get to the point of me getting on this to spew some more of my garbled gomps, this time not b/c i can't open my mouth or b/c my stitches are bleeding, but b/c i'm inchoherent and in stagnation. YES. I said stagnation. that term is not solely used to describe the thing that's happening that i blame my current unemployed status on. And when i blame other things, i'm just deflecting from myself, which i was taught to do at this time-money-youth-devouring thing most commonly called "law school." the law is about assigning blame.
And, while it'll be noble of me to assign blame to myself, I refuse to today and most days since I stepped foot into that ugly concrete building that's like 60 years old and they stopped doing maintenance work on about 40 yrs ago.


I walked in looking like a happy, hopeful and potential-filled child of the just-passing-through-the-last-of-my-fairy-dusted-teenaged-years:


and I walked out looking like I do now:
(actual photo taken at the time of writing this blop...it doesn't even deserve a "g" today)

So, while you stare at the abhorrent image of myself, in which I could be mistaken for a crack whore...that I've so shamelessly posted, untouched and unglamorized...
...let me continue on to what drives me to post such an awful image and rant about the displeasures of my current state.


APPLE.
Mm-hmm, that company that manufactured this very machine i am pretending is my confidant(e), the one that makes so many techie toys that boys (and girls) all throw hard-earned money at, and possible even makes them weewee themselves.
While I would normally be praising these advancements in technology, I am hating them today, b/c they make my today kinda on the miserable side. I need an ipad/ipod touch/iphone to study for this ridiculous thing call the BAR that is the start of my troubles (see supra). I have a long commute to and from my barbri classes which are held only in one specific law school building, probably similarly miserable as the one I frequented w/ some regularity for the past 3 years. And because of this time spent commuting and waiting for trains and such, the staff at barbri allowed me an 'upgrade' to their new, shiny, fancy "mobile," even while attending the classes in person. Which was very generous and accommodating of them, I must add.
However, in order to access their "mobile" lectures, I need an iphone/ipad/ipod touch. I have an android phone that I am happy with, but of course, they haven't developed an app that is compatible with it. so, I think positively, and say to myself, 'I have such a device, the ipod touch.' But mine is 3 years old and does not have the capacity to use their app. I spent about 3 hours trying to upgrade the piece of shizz that I have to no avail.
And yesterday, I have spent a reasonable amount of time scoping the ipad out at the pretty Apple store (which, at Old Orchard Mall, is right next to Victoria's Secret which keeps such great secrets about sizing boobs and bras...but that's a different story for a different day for a new round of shocking news). And, I go on line to ebay, at the suggestion of one Will Romine that will remain nameless.
....ooops.

EBAY.
On it are all these ppl selling such items, and most of them have these EXCELLENT ratings and credit on line. So I bid on one, finally this morning. Then FREAK OUT. B/c I realized what happened...ebay has done it again. It's goaded me w/ "bid higher" and "you're currently the highest bidder but you WILL be out bidded, so bid a little more" and "you sure? that's it? c'mon, you need to add at least $50 to that bid" until I realized that I had put down waaay more than I had intended for the item of that condition.
So I spent a good 30 minutes freaking out, constantly refreshing my screen PRAYING for someone, ANYONE to OUTBID ME! I added splashes of coffee to my generic cinnamon toast crunch and gobbled 2 bowls of this crazy and yummy concoction. Then the prayer was answered, the miraculous happened. Some putz outbid me...
WHEW! I know, right?
but no...
I got suspicious, I got jealous.
I spent all that time reading reviews and considering how much things were worth, and bidding, putting $$$ that I DON'T HAVE and I LOST! I LOST!
I got angry.
So, I found a new, similarly alluring item of similar condition to bid on. And on goes the story, times like 4. And now I'm waiting on this one 1st generation ipad wifi only, with 32 gb of memory, "opened and return." It's currently $355...but my max bid is $403.37...and there's just over 2 hours left on this. OMG. I did it again. I meant to put $385 as my max bid, but then they led me to think that wasn't enough. Don't ask me how ebay gets me so easily. I must be illiterate when I see their pop-up boxes goading me to raise my bid.
And in the mean time, my dad gchats me that he could probably get an ipad tax-free or something thru someone he knows. So I had no choice but to tell him that I'll let him know if my bids win....dammit.

~~~AND, to make things worse, my brother, who has a paid internship at an investment bank in NYC, tells me he has an ipad. that he won't lend me. b/c he reads his newspapers on it on his commute in the am. then, when i complain to him that life is hard, i have no job and i can't even secure an ipad and my savings are gone and GA employers won't even interview me b/c I'm in IL even for volunteer positions...he tells me to just power thru it. I don't remember telling him to stop complaining when he called me to discuss how bad his condition is. He instead told me to just get shit done, power thru the studying and hit the pavement.
Listen up, news flash:
I DID "hit the pavement." and flew to every city I could get an interview in. It didn't land me a job, and so I took a break the past year.
I WISH I could just go out and purchase the most expensive IPAD and a brand new computer to take my bar exam on.
But GUESS WHAT? I am the equivalent of a beggar in wealth right now. Actually, I might be worse off, from a pure financial stand point b/c I have these things called education loans that are coming due in November. So i'm at the mercy of my parents, who are kind enough to feed me and house me in their house.
But I'm in my late 20's...I have a bit of pride/shame/sense of propriety (unlike my brother, who feels justified in mis-investing [yes, that is a word] large portions of funds that my mother once held in her bank account). I feel bad asking my mom for even more money, esp. when her sister called last night to report that my grandmother is ill and there will have to be more tests done on her to see what is the problem.
My poor grandmother brings tears to my eyes. I wish I could fly over to CA and stay by her bedside, but this stupid bar study is really getting in the way.
I called my grandmother to tell her that I graduated, but I don't think she understands that her granddaughter is now a JD, or that it's not the same as that other time I sent her graduation photos to Korea. It made me cry when I realized how old she's gotten since the last time I saw her--2 years ago, almost to the day.~~~

So i'm conflicted.
These things are making my life miserable today:
Apple (and apple-specific Apps)
Bar (and barbri, which creates apps only compatible w/ apple; Bidding on ebay)
Computers/Cats/Coffee shops that close too early and not have wifi
Doors in public places (some Dogs, but mostly not dogs)
EBAY (new addition, they are masterminds and so highly addictive that I have to constantly remind myself why I cut myself off from ebay, and can't let my guard down)
Furniture that doesn't...

...whatevs. i give up. i just hope i don't win that bid and instead, win a paying job offer and a free ipad that goes w/ the job. Oh, and can't forget happily ever after. I hope that happens too.

Here's to many miracles and happy endings.

No comments: