Sunday, August 14, 2011

Adventures in Puppyland: Another bite victim

The balls are coming off. No more hesitation. That's it.

We've got a new bite victim: my brother. He wouldn't believe that this dog was bipolar and could turn on you if you bothered him while he was w/ his select few "possession" and "aggression" triggering toys. I warned him several times about that bone I kept out of reach of the dog. I warned him that the dog is getting nervous about him constantly touching him and his bone. I warned him that w/ that growl the dog is getting angry. I and the dog warned him when the dog snarled. I told him to not bother him or just take it away.
And, the 6.5 lb pup bit him...hard. Harder than the pup has ever bitten anyone, yet. Definitely drew blood, more blood than the scratches suffered by my dad or me. I had been mistaken about my mom being bitten by him, but he's definitely tried. Good thing he was tied up whenever he got mad at my mom. But he's bitten me 4 times, my dad once and now my brother.
We looked at the wound and saw that the pup may have bitten more than once...possibly twice. My dad thought he was going to bite both me and my brother. We were laying on our stomachs on my bed, shoulders and heads hanging off the edge, me holding the insanity-inducing bone he was chewing and my brother pulling on his back paw or petting his head. My dad had stepped in to talk with us. This happened really fast, I tried to twap his nose w/ my finger to stop/distract/punish him and he almost got my finger too. I couldn't grab him by the scruff of his neck, but I yelled really loud in his face and snatched his bone away. But in all this chaos, my brother was bitten twice, and was left w/ a large scratch-wound that bleed for a long time, bleed through the bandaid. The dog is lightening-fast when he snaps/lunges/bites.
We warned my brother about the dog's speed too. He learned that our warnings were all true, the hard way.
I should have grabbed him by the back of his neck and threw him into the bathroom for a time out. He instead got thrown into his crate and was yelled at by my mom. She was angry at the dog for biting her son. She wacked the bottle of peroxide against the top of the crate and threw his kong at the crate while yelling at him. I made her stop but not b/c I thought he didn't deserve it...but more so b/c her anger might exacerbate his aggression issues. That dog is a pain in the butt.

Bottom line: I looked up low-cost neutering places in Chicago and Atlanta. I'm going to do it. I can't afford the vets around my town ($350 to $400+), but I need to have his balls chopped.
My dad and I had the same idea: I thought of tightly wrapping a rubber band around his balls and cutting off circulation until they fall off over the course of a week or so; My dad said back in the day they used to hold the dog down and wrap fishing line or strong thread tightly around the balls and that it'll fall off eventually.
Whichever way we do it, I really hope high-running hormones are 99% of his aggression issues. I can deal w/ all of his bad habits if he wouldn't snarl and bite people. It's just too stressful living w/ a biting puppy, he drew lots of blood today and I can't have him doing this anymore.

Oh, and he scooted his butt on the floor this evening and after his walk I got up close and personal w/ the pup's anal sacs...expressed them like an expert on the 3rd try. Didn't get it all over the place this time. No professional puppy bath needed this time.

No comments: