Monday, June 2, 2008

Month TWO coming up!

Tomorrow, it'll be two months since my surgery!
Still on mush and purees. I can't exactly chew soft things, but I can swallow bits of bread, small amounts of soggy rice, and even meat sometimes if cut up into a mash and mixed w/ mashed potatoes or something like it.

I've been eating tons of bread pudding, b/c it's one way to consume bread, but I don't make it so sweet so it can be eaten room-temperature as a breakfast or a dinner, not just a heavy dessert. But I've always loved bread pudding, so I'm going to try a Savory bread pudding recipe. I have the general idea down, milk and eggs w/ spices w/ either sugar/dried fruit/berries or pureed meats and veggies.

I microwaved half a can of spaghetti-and-meatballs thing and mashed it up w/ a fork for a good 5 minutes and that was good. If I'm careful, I can eat w/ a fork w/out damaging myself or the elastics too much. I mash fish when available and I cut up noodles doused in sauce or soup and slurp/swallow that. But I choke on alot of stuff so I should be more careful.

Little red bumps around my lips/nose are still there, but teensy zit-like bumps have joined the group. I am starting to wonder if they're b/c of my continued use of Vaseline Lip Therapy. I love that stuff! It goes on morning and night, and sometimes when my lips feel dry and stretched during the day. Should I stop using it for a week and see if that's the problem? The bumps are painful, unsightly and annoying!
Another hypothesis that I've come up w/ is that b/c my body is still trying to heal there, it's sending an overload of blood and repairing supplies, and among "repairing supplies" is extra lipids. And whatever doesn't get used w/in an allotted time is being dumped out via the epidermis. If this is the case, then there's nothing I can do about it. Which sucks.

I can still feel the metal plates holding my upper jaw in place, I wonder if the feeling will go away or they'll keep on bothering me and will have to be removed next year. I don't want to remove them any sooner than the first anniversary of my orthognatic surgery. I want them to be there to make sure nothing wobbles around, and surely w/in a year all the bone healing will be done.

But, I've worked over time last Wednesday and tonight. I get exhausted when I do work overtime, so I am a little frustrated at my low energy levels and stamina. But all in good time, right?

1 comment:

Dragon (Karen) said...

Great that you're being so inventive with bread puddings Grace ... they sound yummie!

About your lips ... maybe you could change to a different product to keep your lips moist, giving the vaseline a break for a few weeks and see if there's any change in with the red spots. There's many great lip treatments available. Look for one that has sunscreen and vitamin E. I also like having Aloe in my lip balm!

Here's to your jaw continuing to progress well and please take good care of yourself! :-)